Sermons from our Mitchellville Maryland Church
- “It is a law of the Divine Providence that man should be led and taught by the LORD from heaven by means of the WORD and by means of doctrine and preachings from the WORD, and this to all appearance as if by himself.”
Emanuel Swedenborg – Divine Providence #154
Our Featured Sermon – Principles of Marriage – Delivered on Sunday November 20th 2016, this sermon expands on the text: Jesus said, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man put asunder.” Matt. 19:6
January to April, 2017:
- The Lord’s Crucifixion – A Holy Supper compilation and address for “Good Friday, Mitchellville, MD, April 14th, 2017
- Palm Sunday 2017 – Delivered at Mitchellville on April 9th, 2017 , this sermon studies the issue of Divine Foresight and Providence in the events of Palm Sunday
- Judgement and Mercy – “Very ironically, one of the things a lot of people criticize about the church is the fact that they feel criticized when they attend church functions. Or, to put it another way, one of the major judgments people make about the church is that they feel judged by the members.” Read More.
- Building Community in the Church – A challenging talk delivered by our pastor for the worship service on Sunday March 26th, 2017.
- The Covenant with Noah: The Four Seasons – This sermon, delivered by our Pastor on Sunday March 19th, examines the internal sense of the text – “During all the days of the earth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease” (Genesis 8:22).
- Trusting Our Sense Experience – Delivered by Rev. Michael Gladish for Holy Supper worship service on March 7, 2017.
- The Purpose and Value of Life in This World – Delivered by Rev. Michael Gladish during the worship service on Sunday, February 18th 2017. “In summary, life in this world, whether pleasant or troubled, can be described in one word, and that word is opportunity. Naturally, materially, we are often bound and limited, but spiritually everything we experience can be used for our benefit. Let us use it wisely, and support one another to the best of our ability as we do.”
- “Be Fruitful and Multiply; Fill the Earth and Subdue it…” – Delivered by Rev. Michael D. Gladish for the worship service on January 22nd, 2017, this sermon discusses the first commandments given to mankind. “Then God blessed them, and God said to them, Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” (Genesis 1:28).
- Counting the People – Delivered by Rev. Michael Gladish during the worship service on January 15th. What is the real meaning and purpose of numbering in the Word, and why is it important in our present day lives? Read this sermon and find out.
- First, Do No Harm – A sermon for New Year’s Day 2017 by Rev. Michael Gladish.
October, November & December 2016:
- The Joy of the Shepherds and the Gifts of the Wise Men – A family talk by Rev. Michael Gladish delivered on Christmas Day.
- Darkness and Light in the Advent – A family talk by Rev. Michael Gladish delivered on Christmas Eve 2016.
- Our Sensory Experience of the Lord: – Delivered on Sunday December .4th, 2016 for the Holy Supper worship service. “… Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me…’” (John 14:6-11). This sermon shows how our experience of the holy supper can enhance our connection with the Lord.
- Evil and Falsity Used for Good – by Rev. Michael Gladish for the worship service on October 30th. If man …. “were not allowed to think in accord with the love in his will, which is hereditarily implanted in him, that love would remain shut in and never be seen by him. A love of evil which does not become apparent is like an enemy in ambush, like matter in an ulcer, like poison in the blood, or corruption in the breast, which cause death when they are kept shut in. But when a person is permitted to think the evils of his life’s love, even to intend doing them, they are cured by spiritual means as diseases are by natural means.” – DP #281(2).
- The Power of Sharing Personal Struggles and Insight – by Rev. Michael Gladish for the worship service on October 2nd, 2016.
Earlier last Year:
- Nourishment and the Holy Supper – by Rev. Michael Gladish for the Holy Supper Service on Sunday September 254th, 2016. ” …. the holy supper is an introduction into heaven.” (TCR #719)
- Summer Series on “Our Connection to Heaven”
- Part 5 – “The Heavenly Life” – this sermon by Rev. Michael Gladish for the Worship Service on Sunday September 4th, 2016, observes that ‘heaven is a state of mind and not a place in the usual sense of the word’ and describes the life of heaven where all are ‘in the delight of their work and labor from a love of use, and no one from a love of self or of gain.’ (HH 393)
- Correspondences – “everything we see, hear, taste, touch or smell in this natural world is symbolic of something in the spiritual world; …. it is the physical expression of something spiritual, and if it is functioning in an orderly way it is an expression of something heavenly.” Delivered by Rev. Michael Gladish on Sunday August 21st. 2016.
- Bringing Heaven to Earth – about the Church as one form of our connection to heaven; delivered by Rev. Michael Gladish on Sunday August 7th. 2016.
- Our Need to Know about Heaven – the importance of the New Church revelation about the spiritual world. July 24th. 2016.
- Family Talk on Influx and Associate Spirits – delivered on July 10th, 2016 for the family service.
- True (and False) Patriotism – some reflections from the doctrines on how we can truly love our countries – any countries! Delivered by Rev. Michael Gladish on July 3rd, 2016.
- Amazing Features of the Holy City – delivered for the Family Service on New Church Day June 19th, 2016.
- “Focus on the Lord” – A sermon for the Holy Supper by Rev. Michael Gladish, June 5th, 2016
- The Conquest of Canaan by Israel – By Rev. Michael Gladish May 15th, 2016 explores the “whole concept of what might be called murder and mayhem in the Bible” and concludes with “some serious lessons from it for our personal lives.”
- The Life of a Mother – By Rev. Michael Gladish, these are the notes for the Family Service talk on Mothers’ Day May 8th, 2016
- Light of the World – By Rev. Michael Gladish, May 1st. 2016
- Salt of the Earth – by Rev. Michael Gladish, April 24th, 2016
- Signs that Will Follow Those Who Believe – by Rev. Michael Gladish, April 3rd. 2016
- THE DIVINE TRINITY
- Taking Responsibility – by Rt. Rev. Peter M. Buss, Jr., on Sunday January 31, 2016
- Acts Epistles and the Word – Sunday January 24th, 2016
- Letting Go Without Giving Up – delivered on Sunday January 10th, 2016 in preparation for the Holy Supper
- The Past, the Future & the Present, – delivered on Sunday January 3rd. 2016;
More about Sermons:
Most of the sermons preached at the Washington New Church are fully written and available in printed form or as PDF’s which you can receive by email each week (most weeks) if you wish. To join the mailing list (in either format) just call or e-mail us (see contact-us page).
Here on the website, rather than include the hundreds of sermons that are available, we have picked a representative sampling under various headings that may interest you. Click here for more sermons preached at the Washington New Church then on any heading and it will take you to those selections. Write or call if you are interested in a topic you don’t see here. If we can’t provide a sermon on it we can almost certainly send you some information in another format.
For audio or text sermons from other General Church ministers click under “Related Links” in the sidebar to your right..